The pros: Trader Joe’s Semi Sweet Chocolate Chunks is almost 60% cocoa, rich cocoa taste, great for baking.
The cons: If you need uniformity in your chocolate then reach for the chips and not the chunks. These were meant to be uneven on purpose.
The verdict: For $2.29 you can’t go wrong with these for baking, snacking, or melting. The chocolate is nice and intense. I’ve purchased these several times.
The bag in the pantry aisle:
The nutritional information:
Trader Joe’s description of the product (which I couldn’t agree more):
How do you use a product like this? Make cookies (among other things)
This Betty’s Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe
1 cup of unsalted butter (2 sticks)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar or Trader Joe’s Organic Brown Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Bean Paste
2 1/4 cup AP flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 package (usually a 10-12 ounces) of chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Mix the butter and sugars in a stand mixer until fluffy
- Add Vanilla
- Add each egg one at a time to incorporate. These are your “wet” ingredients.
- In a separate bowl add flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir to combine. These are your “dry ingredients”
- Using 1/4 cup measurements, slowly add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Once all dry ingredients are incorporated into wet ingredients, put mixer on the slowest setting and mix in 1 bag of chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop, place scoops 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a non stick surface such as a sil-pat.
- Place in oven for 13-14 minutes for soft and chewy cookies or longer if you like a crispier cookie. The browning will give you a sense of how “done” they are.
I don’t know about you, but I think mine (on the left) look better than Trader Joe’s Chunky Chocolate Chip cookies (on the right):
Would I buy this again? Yes and I have. I’ve made several batches of cookies this season. This tends to be my go to bag of chocolate chips because of the unevenness of the chocolate chunks. Some are larger, some are just chards of chocolate. In either case they are delicious tasting and worth a try.
Want to see more items I’ve reviewed from Trader Joe’s? Click on Thoughts & Reviews of Trader Joe’s for an alphabetized list.
Did you try it? Let me know what you think in the comments section!